Read NFO Files during import

Need a new feature in Movienizer? Post your suggestions here.
ColdFusion
Passerby

Read NFO Files during import

Post by ColdFusion » Mon May 21, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi there,

I used to use eXtreme Movie Manager a while ago, but it got really bad. The interface is horrible and functionally is truly awful.
Still, the developer won't listen to his customers.

I am now looking for a new app that will catalog my collection.

I have over 1500 movies, and every single one of them has a corresponding NFO file. I have spent many hours getting the correct IMDB info and adding it to the NFO file.
There are a lot of similar names in films, and I have a few of them. There are also many films that have been remade sever times, and I have some of those too.

When importing movies from a hard drive, please can you have an option to also check for and read in the NFO information.

This is what is stopping me from buy any catalog software that scans hard drives - and there aren't that many.

Add this, and I'll buy your software :)

Thank you.

Vlad
Developer

Re: Read NFO Files during import

Post by Vlad » Mon May 21, 2012 5:53 pm

This would require writing a special module. Movienizer can simply scan your folders with video files, extract movie titles from filenames, download information about the movies, and save everything to its database. Is it really necessary to read NFO files? :roll:
ImageImage

ColdFusion
Passerby

Post by ColdFusion » Mon May 21, 2012 6:10 pm

Thank you for your quick response.
Is it really necessary to read NFO files?
Yes, I believe so. The reason I created the NFOs in the first place was because catalogue software got some of my collection wrong.

JeF
Black Belt Squirrel

Post by JeF » Mon May 21, 2012 7:59 pm

Is it really necessary to read NFO files?
Yes, I believe so. The reason I created the NFOs in the first place was because catalogue software got some of my collection wrong.
I have spent many hours getting the correct IMDB info and adding it to the NFO file.
Reading your post, I believe imdb id is the only really needed piece of data to build the collection with Movienizer.
Do your video files have the imdb id in their name (like Terminator_1_(1984)_tt0088247.avi) ?
If the answer is yes, a two steps operation could do it :
1) Build a list of all imdb ids from your collection (full list of your files could do it) to use it in movie download process : see details here
This will create a Movie Card for each movie of your collection (but not yet linked to your video file)
2) I have a plugin i haven't yet released (still beta) to find filenames having imdb id and update movie info : running this plugin will populate video file link in Movienizer database.
But, again, this will only do it if your files have the imdb id in filename.
;)
JeF

ColdFusion
Passerby

Post by ColdFusion » Mon May 21, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks,

All my movies are named cleanly (using your example) : Terminator 1.avi
The NFO, is labelled the same : Terminator 2.nfo
Currently the only contents of them is a link to the IMDB page : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088247/

vlad.waldhaus
Passerby

Post by vlad.waldhaus » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:18 pm

I come back to nfo import. I have a big collection (2500+) and can't import it in Movienizer and then keep it sync with other tools. I use
different tools(XMBC, Extrememoviemanager, Plex, Home Media Server) for different tasks. Using nfo file I keep my collection in different tools in sync.
I want to switch to Movienizer, but can't, because in "Import from text file" it's impossible to set filepath. Import from nfo is missing too.
Actually it's not difficult to write script for nfo file import (I already did it for HMS with fastscript). But to implement it, filepath information is missing in GetSearchURLbyName.
Or probably better and more universal solution: add support for ExecuteSQL in import script engine and also add Movie/Person Id in functions parameter list.

PS: For "adding a new movie" ExecuteSQL in import script will probably fail, because record in database is missing. But first add movie without downloading and then import will work.

SouthSailor
Extra

Post by SouthSailor » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:55 am

Did you ever get anywhere with this?
I have a large database in Kodi and I'm not about to re-download info everything via imdb since I have a lot of custom info in the nfos, but I can find no way to import these. I have cancelled my license about a year ago since I never got anywhere, but no other programs have nfo importing either.